Got a story to submit? Want to place an advert? Send a mail to jovodaf@gmail.com
Drop Down MenusCSS Drop Down MenuPure CSS Dropdown Menu

Tuesday 23 February 2016

Domain Change: The Long, Hard Road to the Permanent Site...

For sometime now, I have been planning a transition from jovoflavour.blogspot.com to jovoflavour.com all in a bid to take this Blogging Ministry to the permanent site.

Domain migration is not a kid's game at all but a big decision that requires a great deal of planning. And
so, the time finally came in my website's life when I had to change domain names, due to a rebrand, due to the fact that a more unique URL came along that is easier to remember and pronounce.

Much as I would have preferred majovo.com, I found out that it's highly recommended to try and keep the exact same URL structure while switching domains, so I was stuck with using half my name with a touch of flavour.

It's been a massive rebrand and a perfect storm.  First, a more matured site redesign, content overhaul, and domain change, complete with TLD switch and setting up a 301 redirect that will not only send readers to the correct page but will also tell search engines that the page has permanently been moved and it will transfer the link credit to the new page all at almost the same time.

It’s enough to make one lose sleep and I did. And when I did sleep, it was nightmares about my knowing how badly my organic traffic may slip a after launch, and more nightmares about redirects and URLs all the time.

At the same time, I’m glad I went through establishing a more professional identity for my blog, one step at a time, instead of throwing up my hands and saying “well, I'm doomed,” when I learnt of the process involved.

Thanks to everyone who has always supported jovoflavour. And to my techguy and blogging mentor, Clement Ogudu, I owe you a lifetime of thanks. I welcome you all to my new brand, jovoflavour.com. Don't forget to visit often and drop suggestions on the kind of stuff you would love to read here. *winks*.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, this is good to know that you were able to transition successfully as I have an idea of how difficult and discouraging it is, wish you luck.
    Ps. Btw I'm visiting your blog for the first time (both old and new lol) and I hope to visit more frequently 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Ayodeji for stopping by and dropping a comment. I need all the wishes for luck I could get now. Please, do visit more frequently as promised, it is the world to me.

      Delete

Please ... LEAVE A COMMENT *winks*